Swag Bucks

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ode to Maxwell

There's laundry to do
and a broom to employ,
but I'm much too busy
with my little boy.

He's hungry at seven,
then ten, twelve, and three.
Again at five-thirty;
It's baffling to me!

He does nap twice a day
but it never lasts long.
He awakes with a screech,
or (rarely) a song.

Between eating and napping
there's lots to explore:
Stairs to climb, doors to bang,
and oh so much more.

By the end of the day
the board books are strewn
from the basket they're kept in
across the whole room.

Under each chair
he has stashed a few things:
A teether, a monkey,
some colorful rings.

There are cheerios smashed
in his high chair, and worse --
peas and carrots have found
their way into my purse.

When he's down for the night
I barely can muster
The strength to look 'round
and survey the disaster.

So if you stop by
our humble abode
Please know I'm not really
a lazy old toad.

It's just that I've got
a one-year-old child
who is spirited, mischievous,
funny and wild.

I've been tired since April
(Two thousand eleven)
But I'd never trade in
my small gift from Heaven.

7 comments:

  1. I know where you got this skill from... Gramma (Aunt Bunny) would be proud of this ode! You're an amazing mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley I love it! You got the gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome..yes you got it. I just read this to Dad and he said "she got the gift from you babe".. or Grammar :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it Ashley, you sure do have a talent. Your dad is right, you should publish this. Love U

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so lovely, and definitely a keepsake! Maxwell is certainly a lucky boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the great thing about having a cute kid, though-- anyone who comes to your house will be so completely captivated, watching him destroy the place, that they'll never notice your vacuum cleaner is attached to the wall with a thick web of cobwebs. Enjoy your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very talented, Ashley!!! I agree that you should publish it!! In fact..keep writing poetry through Maxwell's life..they will be best sellers!! Can just picture him..through your poetry..also an exhausted mommy!!:)

    ReplyDelete